HACKNEY ARTS CENTRE TIPS
Thank you very much for supporting our license application, it is the critical element to making this new venue viable. We are confident that we can convince Hackney Council to accept our application if we get enough support.
Any email of support is helpful, but ideally a “copy and paste” or template approach should be avoided. This is because the Council view them as less meaningful than a bespoke letter. To help we have listed some themes and points which would be useful to include in letters of support, please pick and choose or ad lib as you wish.
Any letters need to reach Hackney Council by 4pm on Friday 14th April – any late representations will not be taken into account – please email letters to firstname.lastname@example.org please keep us on CC at: email@example.com
Please ensure any representations mention the application premises in full: Hackney Arts Centre, 15 – 17 Stoke Newington Road, N16 8BH and if you’re a Hackney resident, please mention your address or post code in the letter.
Points to consider in writing your letter:
- Fully support the application and encourage the council to grant the application and support HAC to bring about positive change in Dalston. The operating hours are reasonable and no later than the existing premises license.
- HAC plans to present music, theatre and performance art, with lectures, talks and debates and other cultural events – this is important for Dalston and Hackney as a whole.
- HAC will become an important part of Hackney’s creative economy – promoting Hackney as London’s leading district for arts, culture and the creative industries.
- HAC is proposing major education programmes, supporting NEET (not in education, employment or training) young people, helping them back into positive learning and meaningful work.
- In the last eight years, London has lost half of its grass roots venues, it is important to support new venues to open so that they can support new artists and the next generation of talent.
- The Hackney Arts Centre project will restore this important historical building to its former glory, becoming a major arts venue for Hackney. It would otherwise likely continue to decay and ultimately be lost forever.
- The impact HAC will have in the area will be a positive one.