Since closing our doors to the public, and pausing our programming in mid-March due to the Covid-19 pandemic you may have seen that we have taken up various side hustles such as VU Cycle Park and a Crowdfunder with EartH in order for us to make sure our independent, grassroots venues can operate in the future. Today we are pleased to announce that we are reopening Village Underground to the public as a socially distanced bar on Thursday – Saturday nights. The temporary pop-up bar will have a fully stocked bar, table service, specially curated music, live DJ’s and all the good vibes you would expect from our teams at VU.
Introducing… Village Underground Bar
– The bar entrance is at the rear exit of the venue at 8A Great Eastern Street, Shoreditch, EC2A 3NT (look out for the ‘Let’s Adore and Endure Each Other’ sign).
– The bar is open Thursday 17:00-23:00, Friday and Saturday 17:00-00:00.
– You will need a mask / face covering to enter the venue, and also when moving from your table to the toilets or smoking area
– Customers will be asked to complete the NHS track and trace before entry.
– We welcome tables of up to 6 people from no more than 2 households or support bubbles, which are available to prebook for 2 hours by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Walk up tables are also welcome however there could be queues on arrival.
– We are offering a pay as you order table service to minimise movement within the venue and ask that customers follow venue signage, social distancing rules and one-way systems at all times.
– We’ve collaborated with Yard Sale Pizza so that you can order freshly baked pizza straight to your table with no delivery charge. Menus and instructions on how to book are available on each table.
– All of our staff will be wearing necessary PPE, undertaking regular hand washing and sanitary procedures. Plus there will be multiple hand sanitisers located throughout the venue for you to use.
– We will be announcing DJ’s for each night across our social channels in the lead up to the weekends so stay tuned.
Village Underground Bar is a temporary measures, and naturally, we can’t wait to welcome you all back into our venue again for unforgettable gigs, life-affirming club nights and everything in between. But for now, by supporting our Bar you will also be supporting the future of Village Underground and our venue up the road in Dalston, Evolutionary Arts Hackney (EartH).
If you wish to support us with a donation, please head to our crowdfunder. Your donations will be used to cover overheads, and where possible to provide some work to either our team or the wider arts/music industry.
Help save our venue
All profits from the Bar and Cycle Park will go towards helping VU and EartH survive through to when we can open again. Whether you choose to visit us for drinks, park your bike with us, donate to our crowdfunder or just pass on our news to a friend – we need your help to make sure we can operate in the future.
This also means we may alter how our Bar works in the coming weeks, as we trial this new project. We’re aiming to make it as smooth an operation as possible, and we’ll also be improving it as we go, so please be patient with us and our team.
Over the years, our 23 employees and 75+ venue staff and freelancers have worked tirelessly to renovate and transform Village Underground and EartH from abandoned buildings into world class music venues. Both venues are financially self-sufficient. We receive no funding and usually rely on our bars and commercial events, the revenue of which is put back into our artistic programmes.
Keep up with the latest news by signing up to our mailers.
Customer Guidelines for Village Underground Bar
- Please do not enter the venue if you or anyone in your group or household display any symptoms of COVID-19
- You will be asked to fill out the NHS track and trace and show proof of this to security before entry.
- Maximum of 6 people per booking from no more than 2 households or support bubbles. Any tables appearing to be in larger groups will be asked to leave. This is for the safety of our staff, others customers and so that we are in line with Government guidelines.
- Do not move the tables. They are laid out with social distancing in mind.
- Contact details will be kept for 21 days from your visit. Your details will be securely stored and only used for track and trace
- You will need to wear a face mask to enter the building and when not seated at your table. No mask, no entry.
- Walk-in bookings may only consist of up to 6 people from no more than 2 households or support bubbles
- Please use hand sanitisers and hand washing facilities within the venue. Please wash your hands regularly. Our staff will be undertaking regular cleaning throughout opening hours
- Please pay by card only
- Obey the signage, one-way systems and social distancing rules.
- Avoid raising your voice to mitigate risk of transmission. Please be understanding to our staff if you are asked to lower your voice
- We may be asked to close at short notice, please be understanding and kind to our staff in these circumstances
- This environment is new to us all so please be patient with our staff